Determining your skin type is the first step (and a very, very important step) to take before you even consider any facial products. Without pin pointing this feature of yourself, you could set yourself up with an array of skin problems.
Yes, even if you buy high quality, professional products, you can still cause harm to your skin by using the wrong ingredients.
Do You Know Your Skin Type?
1. Normal Skin
Well-balanced oil and moisture. Though the T-zone may appear oilier, your skin produces only the right amount of oil. Your skin is not too dry and not too oily either.
2. Dry Skin
Skin that is cracked, itchy, and scaly. The skin may naturally be dry, but may also be affected by skin conditions, allergies, low humidity in the air, and cold temperatures.
3. Dehydrated Skin
More like a skin condition than a skin type. Dehydrated skin means the uppermost layer of the skin (stratum corneum) lacks moisture. It feels chappy, rough, and visibly dry, but may also be oily due to lack of moisture.
4. Combination Skin
Your skin is oily in the forehead, chin, and nose (T-zone area) but dry on the cheeks and other parts of the face. Combination skin is caused by the overproduction of oil in some areas, while the dry parts have lesser oil glands and lesser moisture.
5. Oily Skin
Skin that looks thick and pale. It looks shiny and/or greasy with visibly large pores, and may be prone to acne and blemishes. Parts of your face may be oilier than others, usually on the T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin).
6. Sensitive Skin
Skin that is quick to have irritation, allergic reaction, or redness which may be caused by products that it comes in contact with. Sensitive skin also has a tendency to blush or flush easily as the nerve endings may not have much protective layer to support it.
Also Read : How to Reduce Period Pain or Menstrual Cramps
How to determine your skin type?
Do a simple skin test – with a clean facial tissue wipe your face in the morning when you have just woken up and check the results below to know what skin type you have.
1. Normal Skin
- The tissue will show no traces of oil.
- Your skin will feel vibrant, elastic, and supple.
- You are blessed! Your skin is the least problematic of all skin types.
2. Dry Skin
- The tissue will be clean.
- Your face skin will feel dry, and tight.
- This type of skin is very prone to premature ageing, wrinkles and fine pores.
3. Combination Skin
- This is the most common skin type.
- The tissue will have traces of oil coming from your nose and forehead, but the areas that touched your cheeks will be clean.
- Combination skin is a mix of both dry and oily skin which requires different types of care with respect to different facial areas.
4. Oily Skin
- The tissue will have spots of oil on it.
- Especially, around your cheeks, nose, and forehead.
- oily skin causes a lot of problems – open pores, greasiness, breakouts, etc.
5. Sensitive Skin
- The tissue test may not work for this skin type.
- Sensitive skin is extremely tender and becomes inflamed and irritated easily.
- This skin type develops reddish and scaly areas and Is prone to breaking into spots.
How Can You Glow Your Face Naturally at Home?
1. Beautiful Skin Begins With Cleansing
Using a mild natural cleanser morning and night is essential. For a natural alternative mix raw honey with a teaspoon of milk. Warm for few seconds in the microwave and apply all over the face and neck. Wash it off with warm water.
2. Steaming Is Key!
Steam your face once a week to get rid of toxins, blackheads and other blemishes. Adding oils for your skin typo is a plus. Facial saunas help to clear the skin and restore a healthy glow.
3. Homemade Scrub
Exfoliate the skin with homemade scrub once or twice a week. Mix virgin olive oil with a bit of brown sugar. Rub very gently over the skin and remove with warm water. Splash your face with cold water to close pores.
4. Always Moisturize!
Using vegetable oils such as almond or rosehip Is great to keep the skin hydrated and prevent wrinkles.
5. Don’t Forget Your Facial Mask!
Use a weekly facial mask aimed to your skin problem. Try this one: Mix 2 spoons of cream with a mashed banana and a vitamin E capsule. Apply over face and neck for 15 minutes and remove with a cloth soaked in tepid.
Note: And remember to use daily sunscreen, avoid smoking and drink plenty of fluids such as water, herbal teas and natural juices.
Also Read: How to Be a Strong Independent Woman